“Care rituals cultivate the mind-body connection that shapes how you see the entire world.”
Imagine if simple changes in your daily routine could change your whole life.
Imagine yourself: less tired, less overwhelmed, less caffeine-dependent, sugar-addicted and flat-out stressed out. More connected to your body, more relaxed, more joyful, mindful, grateful, happier.
How do you look?
How d0 you feel?
How do your loved ones love being around the healthiest, happiest version of you?
Higher Ground Yoga is a woman-owned, woman-focused business, based on the limitless possibility in those answers.
Committed only to private clients and their invitees, we offer self-care strategy sessions and workshops (with a private yoga option) for busy women, birth preparation for expectant and new mamas, and business advising for yoga teachers and other professionals with private clients.
Look around. Learn more. Let us know how we can support your path.
About the Owner
Hi. Welcome. I’m Kelly.
I come alive by working with women who want to supercharge their self-care, their health, their lives. Advising and teaching are my tools. Higher Ground and its new parent company, Ritual Care Co., are my platforms.
It started during my former career as a business attorney, spending many hours in busy, deadline-driven workspaces. As a lawyer, I discovered that self-care isn’t just something that makes us feel good — it’s a massive factor in happiness, work performance and sanity. I’ve been hooked ever since.
You can read more below, or just watch the video from Bloomberg Law, where I chat with Spencer Mazyck about how much my work rocks.
“I have the best job on the planet…”
A few other features:
- The $100 Startup, the New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestseller by Chris Guillebeau
- The Huffington Post: Healthy Living
- USA Today: Healthy Perspective
- USA Today: Finding the Business That’s Right for You
- The Solopreneur Life
- Elizabeth Street (Where Stylish Mom’s Meet)
- Legal Nomad’s Thrillable Hours
- A Powerful U BlogTalk Radio
The Technical Stuff…
- Multiple yoga certifications from the Center for Yoga Studies, the Prenatal Yoga Center and Karma Kids Yoga, each New York City-born and bred
- Certification in Positive Psychology at Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, with Tal Ben-Shahar
- Myofascial Release (MFR) connective tissue therapist certified by John F. Barnes, the internationally-recognized leading authority on MFR
- Birth assistant/doula trained by Doulas of North America
- Pediatric sleep consultant trained by leading children’s sleep pioneer Kim West, LCSW-C (aka “The Sleep Lady”)
- Student of nutrition and health at the University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine, directed by Dr. Andrew Weil
- Yoga and wellness practitioner for over a decade, taught and inspired by teachers including Lauren Hanna, Jonathan Fields, Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa, Seane Corne, Max Strom, H. H. Swami Yoganandaji, Bhavini Kalan, Shiva Rea, Alanna Kaivalya and Sri Dharma Mittra
- Juris Doctor, University of Virginia School of Law
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a focus on human development and parent-child attachment, University of Maryland
The Good Stuff…
- Named one of the top 3 yoga teachers in DC by the Washington City Paper Best of DC 2013 reader’s poll
- Slash careerist with physical and professional flexibility: business owner, multidisciplinary certified and registered yoga instructor, birth assistant, retired attorney and nonprofit consultant, and former FBI security clearance holder (I would tell you more, but it’s classified)
- Total travel addict with gorgeous experiences teaching in New York, Cambodia, Indonesia, Italy, France and the United Kingdom
- Chocolate cake connoisseur (I’ve rarely met a kind I didn’t like)
- Huge fan of high heels, except while practicing yoga…but off the mat, stilettos are always an option
- Crazy about nontraditional music for yoga, like DJ Krush, Nina Simone, Feist, Damien Rice and The Black Keys, with plenty of the good ole’ standard stuff on standby, too
- Belief that yoga is for every body, from both personal experience rehabilitating from surgery, and teaching others with special conditions or injury, small people, tall people, heavier people, kid people… there’s a way for everyone
- Favorite yogis: 16-year old brother and 2-year old niece, obviously
- Lover of practical yoga that has ease infused in it, meaning restorative but challenging yoga and self-care that fits your life and your lifestyle, as you’re guided safely and expertly towards your best mind-body health in a sustainable, practical way
It’s your body, your practice, your inner teacher, your light.
We’re here to help you find it.